What is the Ministry
The Pacific Central District MUUGs Ministry is the governing body for MUUGs. Its made up of youth, young adults and adults in order to foster youth leadership skills while maintaining our commitment to an inter-generational community. These leaders are chosen by the MUUGs community from the community each August.
The Ministry exists in order to coordinate retreats, recruit youth and adult leaders for each retreat and do long term visioning and planning. In order to make this happen, we use a combination of in person meetings, conference calls and emails.
Who is the Ministry?
Facilitator - Logan Stump-Vernon
Energy Chair - Traeger Kittelstrom
Retreat Co Coordinator- Meghan Kelly, Jenna Valle-Riestra, LJ Zawilski
Scribes- Sophie Parish, Meghan Kelly
Touch Group Coordinators - Aliya Stanton, Ashley West
Outreach Coordinators- Megan Foote, Trae Kittlestrom, Logan Stump-Vernon
Registrar- Marlene Abel
Documentation- John Large
The Ministry scribes keep notes and minutes for its own organization, but also for transparency. You can find minutes here.
Touch group coordinator(s):
- Coordinate with churches to assign a retreat site many months in advance
- make sure to note any times MUUGs will not have access to certain rooms and convey this information to the Deans
- coordinate if/how we will get keys or access to the church building/rooms
- Select a Dean Team for the retreat (multiple structure options) and contact them far in advance (ideally 6-8 weeks)
- Be sure to keep in mind personalities, work, and leadership styles, and gender balance when assembling the team
- Email adult and young adult volunteer base to gather staff- assign positions
- send out dean materials to dean team and be available to answer any questions they have
- notify deans and staff of anything special/particular for that retreat (i.e. August is Ministry Elections, March is covenant revision, etc)
- Email potential youth leaders for touch group positions
- A week or two before the retreat check in with staff
- Cooks have menu plan? Shopping plan?
- Pass names of TG leaders onto the TG coordinator so they can assemble teams and have them start communicating
- When registrar passes on list of currently registered youth give pertinent information to staff-
- dietary needs to cooks
- names to TG coordinator so Touch Groups can be formed
- Following a retreat (Sunday or Monday ideally) send out email link to Survey Monkey debrief for staff- include a conference call number for a Thursday night call at 7:00pm for a debrief of the retreat.
- Rest for a few weeks then start again! =D
- Take detailed minutes on the meeting be sure to include any proposals, “tabled” items, and “To-Do” items someone takes on.
- Following the meeting send Minutes out to the Ministry for any revisions
- Once Minutes are approved put in drop box and/or publish to website *this part currently in progress
Touch group coordinator(s):
- Receive list of leaders from Co-re-cos and pair up leaders (YA and youth)
- Contact so they can coordinate (hopefully). Make sure to give them each other's contact info, schedule a conference call with all leaders before the retreat if time allows.
- Take registration list and make TGs spreading based on things like congregation, gender, age, number of retreats (note these probably cannot be finalized until Friday of retreat due to last minute registrations).
- Contact people like DREs and parents- let them know what MUUGs is and make sure they have reg form, answer questions.
- Get MUUGs dates for coming year to DRE list
- Work to get next MUUGs date on individual church websites and “upcoming events”/bulletins
- Be aware vibe of meeting, and how people seem to be feeling: are people asleep? Angry? Initiate “energy breaks.” This can be just a break and time outside to walk/stretch, or a group game.
- Time keeper (i.e. if we say we will give 10 minutes to a conversation, keep us on track)
- Schedule the meetings (this will largely be already done once a year, each meeting is typically 3 weeks before a retreat- for the Winter meeting you will need to create a Doodle).
- Book a church location for the Meeting (be sure to know how we will get in)
- Assemble agenda- email Ministry asking for items to be added, check previous meeting Minutes for tabled items.
- Manage the meeting:
- Consensus process
- Keep the stack
- Help set up all retreat activities with Deans and/or Ministry
- Maintain an awareness of any needs in the community (i.e. “we are having a lot of couple drama” or “ there is a lot of body image issues I'm seeing”)
- Update and proof read registration form with current dates/location send it out to list (optionally have it checked by co-re-cos first).
- Collect forms and registration money and bring to retreat.
- Give money to Treasurer
- Get seed funds from district.
- Get reg money from registrar
- Give seed money to cooks and take ledger
- Keep track of funds in and out.
- Give leftover money back to district